Our cookies do make our site more convenient to use and this is described in detail below.
The Mahler Society uses eight cookies. A complete list is shown at the bottom of this page. They tell our server that you are a member (or a non-member, as the case may be) and allow you (but nobody else) to see your personal data file and payment records. They fill out the order and payment forms on the website to save you the trouble, and they tell us nothing about you which you have not already told us in your membership application. Most computer users probably have hundreds of cookies that nest somewhere in their hard drives. It is not always easy to look at the list of cookies currently stored on your computer. The menu options are changed around every so often on all browsers, making it difficult to keep close track of what is going on.
When you use a password to access the members' pages, our site writes a cookie which permits you to open protected pages, and when you click on the logout button, that cookie is deleted. This is because you may be using a computer other than you own, and subsequent users of that computer should not be able to view your personal profile and account information. When you set up a cookie, that cookie is normally not deleted when you turn off your computer (but your browser can be configured to save or delete cookies), which means that if you are logged in you should be able to access the members' pages again and again, day after day, without having to sign in.
The cookies used by us on your computer are:
- stores the last year for which you paid the membership fee.
- prevents the cookie warning from appearing if it hss been previously acknowledged.
- stores your email address.
- used by the ColdFusion server to store session variables.
- stores your complete name with title as a single variable.
- your membership number.
- indicates that your membership status has been determined.
- keeps track of when you last visited the "News" page, to let you know when a new item has been added to the list.